Since prehistoric times the magical and mysterious atmosphere created by the Moon has mystified man. In almost all cultures of the world this celestial body inspired lots of superstitions and beliefs about changes in weather, human destiny, love, money or health.
1. Is made of silver
Because of its silvery glow in ancient times men believed that the Moon was made of silver.
2. Has the power to attract the money
In some parts of Britain people believe that if you bow to the New Moon and in the same time you are turning over some silver coins in your pockets, this will ensure a doubling of money in that lunar month.
Another superstition supposes that when you need money all you have to do is to come out under the Full Moon, open wide your pocket or wallet and say 9 times “fill it up.”
3. The Full Moon may increase the probability and severity of natural disasters
This superstition was encouraged by the theories devised by astrologers who believed that when the Moon goes super extreme the results might be huge natural disasters like storms, earthquakes, volcano eruptions and so on. Although the Sun and the Moon’s alignment cause a small increase in tectonic activity, scientists haven’t found anything significant that can support the fears.
4. Full Moon causes mental disorders and strange behaviors
The belief that humans can turn in werewolves or vampire in nights with Full Moon is among the famous superstitions about Moon. The correlation between the Moon and behavior in animals, including humans, has been called “The Lunar Effect” or “The Transylvania Effect.” The belief in the lunar effect was widespread throughout Europe in the middle ages.
Even today police and doctors think the mystical powers of the Full Moon brings out the worst in people (more violence, more suicides, more accidents).
5. Black magic and devil worship were usual activities in the Full Moon nights
It was said that witches prefer to perform spells and incantations in the nights with Full Moon, when they believed the moon has a major influence on human body and mind.
6. The woman’s fertility is influenced by the Moon
For many years people believed that during a Full Moon were born more children than usual. It is possible that this belief originated from a simple misunderstanding of an ancient Assyrian/Babylonian fragment that stated “A woman is fertile according to the moon.” Despite scientific studies have failed to find any significant correlation between the Full Moon and the number of births this belief still persists today even among educated people.
7. New Moon is believed to have a beneficial effect both on love and business. It energizes the feelings of love and passion and is propitious to the starting of new business ventures.
8. Sick people that look at Full Moon delay their healing.
9. If you cut your hair or fingernails on Full Moon, you will enjoy the maximum growth.
10. The New Moon is propitious to planting
If you plant crops and vegetables when is New Moon, the plants will grow bigger and healthier. Because of this superstition many farmers and gardeners take into account the phases of the Moon in gardening activities.
Do you believe in one of these superstitions? If you know other superstitions about the Moon feel free to share it.
Top incoming search terms:
- full moon superstitions
- superstitions about the moon
- new moon superstitions