Bariatric weight loss procedures have emerged as a common trend today and there are various types of surgeries in this line of invasive approach. Some of them are mentioned below-
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band
- Revisional bariatric surgery
- Lap band
- Banded plication
- Band over bypass surgery
- Rose/Apollo procedure
- Gastric balloon (recently approved by FDA) etc.
Click here for a comprehensive list of procedures.
Among these, gastric sleeve surgery (laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy) is a comparatively newer procedure, which is lately creating a number of successful and satisfied beneficiaries. As the morbidly obese population of US (about 5%+ now with BMI more than 40) is increasing at an alarming rate, there is no doubt that gastric sleeve surgery is going to be a common form of bariatric surgery in future as a highly successful and less troublesome approach.
An overview to gastric sleeve surgery
Known by a lot of alternative names as sleeve gastroplasty, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, parietal gastrectomy, and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy etc., gastric sleeve surgery basically involves laparoscopic removal of a large portion of the stomach, ideally reducing to one-fourth of its actual size.
This procedure is recommended for morbidly obese patients with BMI more than 40. Rarely, patients with BMI of 35 above are also considered for this surgery if they suffer with other comorbidities too as high BP or diabetes. It is ideal in case of patients who are too sick for the administration of any other more invasive type of bariatric surgeries as gastric banding etc. An added advantage of gastric sleeve procedure is that along with reducing the stomach size, it also helps to reduce the release of ghrelin hormone, which causes food cravings.
The major advantages of gastric sleeve surgery
Among the many advantages of this new-age obesity reduction procedure, here we will list the major ones.
- It is minimally invasive, so it doesn’t cause any change in the digestive system.
- Gastric sleeve surgery helps to limit the amount of food intake each time.
- Unlike gastric bypass procedures, it has only less likelihood of formation of any ulcers.
- No foreign devices to be implanted as lap band.
- There is no possibility of the ingested food getting directly into the small intestine being undigested as by bypassing stomach, which is a troublesome condition called gastric dumping.
- It leaves the possibility of performing other sorts of weight loss surgeries if required later. Click here for the complete list of benefits.
More things to know about gastric sleeve procedure
Gastric sleeve surgery is a sophisticated minimally invasive procedure and the need is to make only a single entry point through the belly button. So, it incurs only less pain and leaves no scarring. The recovery time is also lesser as there is no need to cut stomach muscles. You can no more about the procedure by visiting the website bariatric.stopobesityforlife.com.