Discworld is a comic fantasy book series written by the English author Sir Terry Pratchett. The action takes place as its name shows in Discworld, a flat disc balanced on the back of four elephants who are, in turn, standing on the back of a giant turtle, the Great A’Tuin.
The book series is inspired from mythology, folklore and fairy tales, which it uses to parody and create satirical parallels with real political or scientific events. The author has also drawn inspiration from the works of other authors such as J. R. R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft and William Shakespeare. Ever since the launch of its first book, “The Color of Magic”, in 1983, the series has gained more and more popularity, selling more than 80 million books translated in 37 languages.
By the time of the author’s death in March, 40 Discworld novels had been published. The 41st book in the series was scheduled for late 2015. Terry Pratchett, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2007 had previously stated he would be happy if his daughter would continue the series. Discworld made the author the best selling UK author of the 1990’s and brought him several awards such as the Prometheus Award and the Carnegie Medal.
Below we have selected several impressive quotes from the Discworld series. Their themes center around life, death, people and the Universe. Their charm and wit will surely want to make you read the books, if you have not done so already.
1.“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” ( The Reaper Man )
2. “Personal is not the same as important. People just think it is.” ( Lord and Ladies )
3, “Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.” (Small Gods )
4. “The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it.” ( Monstrous Regiment )
5. “If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn’t as cynical as real life.” ( Guards! Guards! )
Do you have a favorite Discworld quote?
Top incoming search terms:
- count of monte cristo famous quotes french
- count of monte cristo quotes
- the count of monte cristo quotes